Phone: 919 619 7303 



About Us

Dart Financial Services LLC (DFS) was started by Simon Sawyer in 2021. DFS was created to help others, whether your situation is relatively straightforward or very complex. Simon has over 30 years of experience in finance and technology. Simon is a federally-authorized Enrolled Agent (EA) and is authorized to represent taxpayers before all administrative levels of the IRS.[1] Simon has passed all the qualifications to be a UK and US financial advisor, including US series 65, UK DIPFA[2] a UK level 4 qualification in financial advice and a UK level 6 qualification in pension transfers.[3] Simon is a member of NAEA (National Association of Enrolled Agents) and NATP (National Association of Tax Preparers). 


Simon has an MA from Oxford University in Mathematics and Computation and an MSc from Oxford University in Applied Statistics.


Simon lives in Chapel Hill with his wife, Helen. They moved to the US in 1999 and have resided in North Carolina since 2005. They have two adult children who are working as a chemical engineer and a software engineer. Outside of tax and finance, Simon enjoys travelling, triathlons and long-distance running.


[1]Enrolled Agent (EA): An Enrolled Agent (EA) is a federally-authorized tax practitioner who has technical expertise in the field of taxation and who is empowered by the U.S. Department of the Treasury to represent taxpayers before all administrative levels of the Internal Revenue Service for audits, collections, and appeals.

“Enrolled” means to be licensed to practice by the federal government, and “Agent” means authorized to appear in the place of the taxpayer at the IRS. Only Enrolled Agents, attorneys, and CPAs may represent taxpayers before the IRS. Only Enrolled Agents are required to demonstrate to the IRS their competence in matters of taxation before they may represent a taxpayer before the IRS. Unlike attorneys and CPAs, who may or may not choose to specialize in taxes, all Enrolled Agents specialize in taxation. Enrolled Agents are the only taxpayer representatives who receive their right to practice from the U.S. federal government (CPAs and attorneys are licensed by the states).


Enrolled Agents are required to abide by the provisions of the Department of Treasury’s Circular 230, which provides the regulations governing the practice of Enrolled Agents before the IRS. 


[2]The Diploma for Financial Advisors Level 4 (DipFA) is a qualification offered through the London Institute of Banking and Finance. The DipFA is the minimum level qualification you need to become a UK financial adviser as laid down by the Financial Conduct Authority. Course study includes:

    - The purpose and structure of the UK financial services industry 

    - The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) main aims, and the rules and regulations that apply to financial advice

    - The different risks that might affect customer’s financial needs, including both economic and personal

    - How to source and analyze data

    - How to create, implement and maintain financial plans

    - How to formulate and communicate financial advice 


[3]The Pension Transfers Level 6 (PETR) is a qualification offered through the London Institute of Banking and Finance. The PETR meets the Financial Conduct Authority’s requirement for pension transfer specialists to advise on defined benefit and contribution schedules. Course study includes:

    - The pension transfers market 

    - Applying suitable solutions to meet customers individual circumstances 

    - The legal, regulatory and ethical framework 

    - Factors influencing critical yield

    - The implications of the source of a transfer and moving between different pension schemes